The train that I boarded


I was very happy, as I enjoyed with my friends a lot. Kind of friendships day celebration, it was.
Saturday 31st July ’10, around 3-30pm I was on the station, from where I was to board a train to my way home. It’s very common a thing, I started travelling alone since I was in school. Today something more was awaiting me, not just the local train, or the platform; it was way beyond my imagination. A lesson from the very common and routine thing in life. Something that I never concentrated on.

As me and my friend climbed the stairs of the platform, the train was already there. I had to rush with the goodbyes and all. I fought with the crowd to get in; I finally came in and stood there puzzling over the commotion near the entrance. The train started just then, I quietly sat down nearby a girl, when I heard cries of a baby. I realised that a mother with her baby had fallen down, while trying to get in the compartment. I was so horrified; it was like I was responsible for the tragedy. Both of them were killed, oh god what happened, I still couldn’t imagine them under the train getting killed, worst I was horrified to imagine the baby’s condition. The train pulled out of the platform, I don’t know really what happened of them. I tried to call my friend and know how they were; she could see only the mother not the baby. Mother was fine, fell on platform.
The other women in my compartment started discussing about how it all happened, and all. I was very scared, trembling, and just wanted to go there and see how they were. After some time the lady who was discussing got down at the next station, other women became quiet and reserved in their own world. Gone and forgotten, the incident took place and we just continued on our respective journeys. How strange it is, that the train I boarded was lost by someone, and also lost the train of life.

The horrible reality of life, death! Today I came face to face, I was totally shaken. We all friends travel like this every other day, and this is the only way it is going to be for the next fifty years. Our parents are scared to let us out. They are worried; if or not something happens they will lose us. Sometimes it’s the bomb blasts, and sometimes it’s just these minor tragedies which cost lives. We play every day with our life. The lifeline of Mumbai, the train is our rider. The train will either take you to your destination, or show you death.  I feel strange.
My parents were right when they said, “Child is alert, be strong. Don’t get into overcrowded trains. And always take care of yourself.” I came to know now, what they meant. Train train, the noise it makes and the host of people it carries, crawling like ants, into the small stuffed stations of the suburban Mumbai. The lifeline of Mumbai gives you life, takes someone else’s in return. It claims lives.

 I boarded that train. I am at my home safe and sound. I could have forgotten that incident, but today it shook me. I could have been of some help today, I wanted to, but all I could do was stand in the door and see, while the train took me to my destination. I feel deeply wounded, I am really upset and I really want the answer from the creator of this world, why?
Why such a brutal end? I can’t digest it, and I will serve these victims some day, I owe it to my love for mankind and humanity.

“TRAIN TRAIN” you changed my approach today, towards life itself!!!

Comments

  1. i too saw this when i was with my mom......its life and you have to live like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death is the only truth of life..u cant avoid tht truth..

    ReplyDelete
  3. only if we knew who is punished by death.. one who dies or those who are left behind? we can only speculate

    nice post.. i'm really sorry that you had to see that..

    "only if people died in solitude" ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good writing,, a perfect reflection of a genuine truth..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Death is the ultimate goal. Life is always in transition. Life is temporary. There is no point fearing death, simply because it's foolish to fear something that WILL come your way. I look at death like a gateway to a new life. To become one with the universe.

    And I disagree with wishv.

    Death is not punishment. Having a sorry life is.Pain is redemption. Death is life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ss & Dharini: Well i know its the truth, and i accept it though with a heavy heart.

    @Shubhadeep: Thanks!

    @Wishv & Ujsen: Death is certainly not a punishment, but the one who sees a person dying is punished.
    Wishv the one who is left behind is left to bear the guilt.
    Ujwal life is not a punishment and neither is death, both are included in this cycle of life, a scientific cycle which keeps on going.And i agree "To become one with the universe", wonderful line!

    @All: But then i don't know why human beings are made to have the feelings and why they feel if everything is so science oriented?

    ReplyDelete
  7. well i myself saw dat 1st tym nd it took sumtym 2 recover from d shock.. nd dat woman nd her baby both wr fyn aftr sumtym..nd i dont think ne1 of dem got hurt dat badly.. jst chill tanvi.. dis incidents keeps on happening.. its just dat we saw it 1st tym in reality dats y v wr bit taken aback..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never agree with you before I die.. And till then, I can't disagree with you either.. That's all I meant by the part you responded to.. And I stand by it, still..

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Wishv: Your firm stand is really commendable, I appreciate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. v need to learn evrythng in lyf..evn the courage to stay away frm ppl v love most.. n life is a harsh teacher.
    if v don't learn sumthng ourselves, life teaches us. The only thing is that when life teaches, it teaches very harshly..!!
    Don't think of such thngs too much. life will be full of them as v move ahead...!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Dhawal:I do think you are right. Life is fun and i am going ahead. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Death is the reality of life....
    Hope it comes as a surprise not as a bill to be paid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do you want to leave me a note?